Carpet installation is one of the most frequently performed home improvements. Laying carpet on your floor will help you to save money on your energy bills each month. A new rug on the floor can alter the look of the entire room. Doing carpet installation without the help of a professional may be harder than you think.
The following tips are meant to help you if you decide to Coronet Carpet Knob Noster MO 65336 do your own carpet installation.
Carpet Installation Tips
1. Measuring the area where the carpet will be installed is the most crucial step of carpet installation. To measure the room you need to measure the width of the room and then the length of the room. Multiply the width times the length. Then divide the sum you come up with by nine. That will tell you the number of square Knob Noster MO 65336 yards of carpet, and padding, that you need to purchase.
2. Wall to wall carpeting is sold in rolls that are typically 12′ wide. If the room you are putting the rug in is wider than 12′ you are going to need to buy seam tape and sew two sections of rug together to make the rug fit.
3. The professionals use an “iron” that can heat the seam tape Coronet Carpet Knob Noster MO 65336 up so they can join the two sections and make the rug appear to have no seams. Practice making some of these joining seams on carpet scraps before you try to make them on your rug.
4. You must remove the base boards in the room where the rug will be laid. After the rug is in position you will put the baseboards back into position. The baseboards will Knob Noster MO 65336 help to hold the rug in the proper position.
5. The surface you are laying carpet on needs to be level. If the surface is concrete you can buy floor leveler and pour it over the concrete. If the surface area is wooden you may have to level the structure to get a level surface area.
6. The surface must be cleaned of all dirt and debris before you can Knob Noster MO 65336 do the installation.
7. The padding that goes beneath the carpet is important. The padding makes the finished floor softer to walk on, but it also protects the back of the carpeting. Do not install a rug with no padding.
8. If you have several cut outs to make in the rug you can roll the carpet out so the back side is facing up. Measure where each cut out Knob Noster MO 65336 will be located and mark the back of the carpet to coincide with these measurements. Cut the rug, and then roll it back up and install it.
9. You must have a “kicker” to help you install carpet. This tool pulls the wrinkles from the rug.
10. Tack strips are attached to the floor around the outer portions of the room. The padding and the rug will be nailed to Knob Noster MO 65336 these strips and do not scoot furniture across your rug when placing items back into the room. This can create a wrinkle in the rug.