When using adhesive surface protection products on a job site there is always a small risk of adhesive transfer. Improper installation, high temperatures, high traffic, and surpassing the recommended ‘remove by’ date can all result in problems with carpet masks and films. Following are a few recommendations to avoid any adhesive transfer.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations when using carpet films. Carpet film usage Coronet Carpet New Braunfels TX 78130 ratings range from 30 to 60 days. Leaving the film on carpets past the recommended usage rating invalidates all manufacturers’ warranty.
- Use films made in the USA for the best warranty protection and highest quality.
- Carpet films use either water based or solvent based adhesives. Water based adhesives are easier to remove if a problem occurs.
- Never install adhesive carpet protection on wet New Braunfels TX 78130 or damp carpet.
- Never install adhesive carpet protection over glue down carpet for a minimum of 72 hours to allow the glue to “breathe”.
- If carpet has been installed over a newly poured cement slab that is not fully cured, avoid using adhesive carpet protection as it can trap the cement moisture and discolor the carpet.
- In cases of extreme heat, shorten the Coronet Carpet New Braunfels TX 78130 recommended time of application by 50%.
- As stated on the installation instructions of every film manufacturer, there is no warranty offered for application on wool carpets.
If the above steps are taken, the chance of any adhesive transfer when using a carpet film is negligible. In the cases where steps have NOT been followed, one of these two issues may occur: 1) sticky adhesive New Braunfels TX 78130 residue on carpet, or 2) discoloration of carpet where the plastic was used. It is important at this step to know the type of adhesive used, water or solvent based.
Water based adhesive film residue easily removes with warm water and can be quickly removed via steam cleaning the carpets. Solvent based adhesive residue may also be removed via steam cleaning however it may take New Braunfels TX 78130 more than one cleaning to fully remove the adhesive. Citrus cleaners available at any hardware store can sometimes aid in the removal of solvent based adhesive residue. If further problems persist, contact your local surface protection supplier to discuss other potential solutions.
Discoloration of carpet is caused by the trapping of moisture under the film and the subsequent reaction of the moisture and the chemicals New Braunfels TX 78130 in the plastic film. Unfortunately this situation can only be remedied by removal of the affected area of carpet. This situation occurs most commonly in cases where users have carpeted over slabs that were not fully cured.
Adhesive carpet films are a great time saving surface protection product when used correctly. Users choosing high quality, USA made products and following the manufacturers’ recommendations fully should New Braunfels TX 78130 never encounter a problem.